On Friday 13 September we had an early lunch before heading off to watch the Men’s Cycling Tour of Britain as it passed through Bilton. After a short walk across to Alwyn Road, we saw police motorbikes setting up for the race. We all thoroughly enjoyed cheering and waving at them and the support vehicles as they sounded their horns and sirens at us.
The first cyclists to pass us were the breakaway group of Dylan Van Baarle from Holland, riding for Team Ineous, number 22. Closely followed by Cameron Meyer from Australia riding for Team Mitchelton Scott. They were 2 minutes and 16 seconds ahead of the peloton when they passed us. The peloton raced passed us in a straight-line group followed by ambulances and sponsor cars. As we waved our flags and cheered, some cyclists threw us their bags and water bottle. We were lucky enough to receive 7 different items which we drew names out of a hat for when we arrived back at school.
This was so much fun, thank you to Mrs Byrne, Mr Thackway and Mrs Yates for taking us on this amazing experience.
Quotes from our classmates about this experience:
- Ariana - I’m really glad we went to see the cycling tour. I got a Wanty Gilbert team water bottle
- Arabella - It was cool seeing the Belgian cyclist throw his water bottle
- James - I really enjoyed watching the police motorbikes whiz past
- Sam - I won the Movistar team bag in the hat draw – I’m really pleased with it!
- Ewan - There was a great atmosphere
Factfile by Harry Barnwell
|Dylan Van Baarle
Freya Somerset and Joseph Yates